definitive proof we never went to moon--try to defy me

DimeDR

Banned
Re: definitive proof we never went to moon--try to defy me

they ever drive this buggy or just sit in it, carry it, or keep assembling it in place?

DimeDR

Banned

do men weigh more than buggy? i sure see their footprints so im assuming that dirt is soft but if someone sees tire tracks please highlight them for me .... oh well, another case of carrying the buggy. Plus not to nitpick but the sun is fairly low and behind this Naut, but his visor is lit up like xmas tree :)

DimeDR

Banned

Duke had been hypnotized to keep him from using his customary cuss words while being broadcast live from the moon, which led to his constant singing to compensate... Tang, orange-drink sponsor of CBS coverage of the mission, was not pleased when Young confided to a crewmate, not knowing that his words were being broadcast live: "I got the farts again... I mean, I haven't eaten this much citrus fruit in twenty years...in another twelve f***ing days, I ain't never eating any more...I'll be damned if I'm goint to be buried in oranges.." -- Ground Control, seeing the dust-covered astronauts on the surface, quipped 'my kids don't get as dirty as you are' -- the reply: 'Yeah, but I bet they're not having as much fun, either'. Apollo 16

DimeDR

Banned

Hoax Claims: There was no dust on the lunar module's feet, how is this possible when Armstrong and others stated that the dust obscured their view of the surface while landing?
History Claims: On the moon there is no atmosphere for the dust to billow about in, so it acts in a different manner to how it would on Earth, moving directly away from the engine. This means that there is no dust floating about to land on the pads.

Sometimes what happens on the moon is really counter-intuitive to what we know so well on Earth. This often leads many hoax arguments down the road of poor science and misunderstanding, the dust on the LM's pads in one such argument. As Intrepid come down for a landing, just as with as with the Eagle, the main engine started to affect the dust while they were about thirty metres above the surface. As the engine's exhaust hit the surface it would start to lift the dust and move it with the flow. On Earth because of our atmosphere as the particles interact with the air, their motion is arrested and the smaller ones float, making this movement is very much random and chaotic meaning that dust will form a cloud that would billow up and about. Without any atmosphere to act as resistance to the exhaust and dust, the surface merely redirected the flow so that it has to follow Newton's First Law of Motion, and will just flow across the top of the surface as shown in the diagram provided. This lack of interaction resulted in the dust cloud from engines "sheeting" across the lunar surface rather than "billowing" up and around the LM like we would see on Earth with a Harrier Jump Jet or a helicopter. In the debriefing after Apollo 11, Armstrong stated:
<TABLE cellPadding=5 width=540 align=center bgColor=#c0c0c0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>"I first noticed that we were, in fact, disturbing the dust on the surface when we were something less than 100 feet; we were beginning to get a transparent sheet of moving dust that obscured visibility a little bit. As we got lower, the visibility continued to decrease."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In his debriffing after the Apollo 12 mission, Pete Conrad noted how far away the sheet extended from his vantage point in the LM, saying:
<TABLE cellPadding=5 width=540 align=center bgColor=#c0c0c0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>"It seemed to me that we got the dust much higher than Neil indicated. It could be because we were in a hover, higher up, coming down. I don't know. But we had dust from - I think I called it around 300 feet. I could see the boulders through the dust, but the dust went as far as I could see in any direction and completely obliterated craters and anything else. All I knew was (that) there was ground underneath that dust. I had no problem with the dust, determining horizontal (fore and aft) and lateral (left and right) velocities, but I couldn't tell what was underneath me. I knew I was in a generally good area and I was just going to have to bite the bullet and land, because I couldn't tell whether there was a crater down there or not."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=5 width=540 align=center bgColor=#c0c0c0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>"At that point (About 30 feet), the dust was bad enough and I could obtain absolutely no attitude reference by looking at the horizon and the LM. I had to use the 8-ball."

lift off from moon by apollo 15--it looks so real!! (1 minutes 21 seconds)

DimeDR

Banned

NASA claims to have lost the original unseen Apollo 11 footage meaning no one can examine it closely.

All of the tracking stations recorded the data being sent from the Apollo craft onto backup tapes in case something was lost in transmission. In the course of filing and refiling the backup tapes, they have been achieved in a less that careful manner, and so it is currently unknown to exactly where they are.

A search is currently on (as of December 2006) for the original slow scan Apollo 11 tapes as these will be free of the deterioration in quality caused by the changes between formats. If these tapes could be retrieved, the footage from Apollo 11 could be processed digitally from a more "pure quality" source. These tapes do not include any "unseen" footage, but rather the footage we have as it appeared to the controllers at the tracking stations prior to the conversion to the NTSC standard for TV broadcast. This means that the images that could be gained from these tapes would lack the lost of contrast about the outer parts of the image, and should be clearer in respect to image artefacts and ghosting that were introduced during the transformation, broadcasting and archiving of the footage we have today.

There were no viewfinders on the lunar cameras and yet all the lunar photographs are in focus, well framed, exposed and just too far too good; they all look like they were professionally taken rather than by inexperienced astronauts. How can this be possible?

All Astronauts had a lot of training and experience in using the cameras before they went to the moon so understood how to use them effectively even without a viewfinder. Not all of the photos are well framed, in focus or perfect either. There are many examples of poor photos in the Apollo record since they just are rarely seen since they are not good magazine copy.

texansfan

EOG Master

im glad people insult me because I'm a complete idiot, good job, hoffa; tho since you pile on yourself its expected ... Um, TF, i make this shit up and i have no life so i guess you win again, as usual... scrimmage would you like to have sex with me? thanks

Wow.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Dime,

You mentioned earlier all of the time and effort you've put into researching all of this. Why? For what purpose? Do you sleep better at nite because of what you've researched? Sorry for my lack of understanding on why anyone would waste what seems like hundreds of hours researching something that doesn't make them any money.

Dime,

You mentioned earlier all of the time and effort you've put into researching all of this. Why? For what purpose? Do you sleep better at nite because of what you've researched? Sorry for my lack of understanding on why anyone would waste what seems like hundreds of hours researching something that doesn't make them any money.

Some people just want to attract attention and create drama. I see this poster as one of them, and his confrontational comments/tone reflects that.

DimeDR

Banned

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>people just dont understand the van allen belts ... this is great part of this series explaining it, watch them all if you are not afraid of the truth

YouTube - MoonFaker: Radioactive Anomaly. PART 5.

DimeDR

Banned

AB

do you enjoy being lied to, arent you curious about the truth ... i guess thats what separates you from me: intellectual thirst

DimeDR

Banned

YouTube - Lunar module blast off and leaves the Moon (Apollo 17)

heres apollo 17 taking off from the moon, lets forget how ridiculously fake it looks, but please explain who was taking this video ... was it a remote cam? how did it know to go up at right second and if prompted from earth wouldnt it be on a delay and then how would it follow this LM? im so confused, please help ... and if it was programmed, they sure had it in lens well. please someone research this and get back to me.

DimeDR

Banned

YouTube - MoonFaker: A Puffy Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon. P2

YouTube - MoonFaker: A Puffy Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon. P3

scrimmage, you always enjoy detail, well here it is, please pick up the gauntlet and challenge me ... this jarrah white is pretty formidable, I know; and i see you have fled ... sorry, we didnt go to the moon, and none of you brain dead here at EOG can wrap your limited gray matter and get outside the box of your miniscule paradigms ... its amusing to see how scared you all are, and even the mental pygmy mods allow and themselves resort to ad hominem ...

DimeDR

Banned

hey help me out again, guys .... this should just take a jiffy ...

why can we see buzz aldrin's footprint where he weighs only 60 some pounds due to 1/6th gravity but we dont see the legs to the LM pressing deep into the soft moon surface or see blast craters from the engines? someone much smarter than I should be able to answer this :houra

DimeDR

Banned

from my pal's blog ... one of the enlightened ...

Monday, November 24, 2008

Project Apollo... What Were They Thinking? Part II

I have been asked as to how I came upon the discovery that Apollo was a hoax many times...

I figure I would use this second part of my expose on Apollo to explain why and how people to this day are still fooled by Project Apollo...

I was 9 years old when Apollo 11 blasted off to the moon, and was like a lot of other young children at the time. We had watched in awe as Apollo 8 circled the moon, and then Apollo 10 circled the moon later carrying the first LEM into lunar orbit. On that fateful July morning in 1969, I got up early with my older brothers to watch with excitement as we were about to land men on the moon!

It was through the mesmerizing effect of television that many were taken in by the spectacle and the wonder of Apollo. Few people were interested at the time about what was happening with the Vietnam War, as America was beginning to withdraw its troops from that fiasco. The US had poured billions of dollars into an unwinnable war, and to sidetrack people's minds from that fiasco, the media was concentrating on Apollo. America needed its heroes at that desperate time, and Apollo filled the bill nicely.

I watched all of the Apollo flights, from the first "landing" of Apollo 11, through the "turmoil" of Apollo 13, and finally with the final blast off from the moon in Apollo 17. I had several models of the Saturn 5 made of plastic, and had posters of Apollo 11 that I hung proudly in my bedroom, like so many other starry eyed kids at the time...After Apollo, and Skylab, I was a bit disappointed with NASA, as they concentrated on the Shuttle program. Viking 1, and Viking 2, gave people a small reprieve in 1976, but the glory of Apollo was over....

I went into University in 1978 taking Science as my primary wanting to concentrate on Physics....It was then that I was enlightened to the bitter truths about our world....

Sometime in the fall of 1979, I was in a Physics lab with several other students, as well as two professors.... We had decided to take some time to talk about space travel, and that was when my eyes were first opened up.... The subject turned to Apollo, and one professor came out and told us all that it was a massive HOAX, and a LIE. I was immediately astounded! After what seemed hours of explanations as to why and how they pulled off the hoax, I was told point blank that "The world itself is not as it seems, and many truths are kept hidden by some very evil people!" I was always one to question authority, and I quickly asked for references, and materials to look at to find out the truth. I was told to examine many pieces of literature at the time that were considered underground materials, because the Mainstream media even at that time was under evil control, and would not allow such material to come forward....

Years later, after reading material such as Bill Kaysing's work, and Eustace Mullins works on the true nature of the Federal Reserve, I was astounded and began to be a full critic of both Government agencies, and the use of the media itself.... I found out early that much of what we had been taught in our schools is selective brainwashing, and done to keep people under a form of control by these master criminals! Apollo itself was a form of propaganda along the lines of the ancient Roman "Bread and Circuses" approach to keep the populace happy, and content! Basically a stunt to have the people continue to trust in Government, and its actions.

For years, I had to suffer ridicule when I told people that Apollo was a sham, and that Government agencies have been lying for years. Many people would laugh, and say I was crazy. It is a powerful weapon, pride, that keeps people under the spell of these evil criminals, and to this day their supporters continue to suppress the truth. With the advent of the internet, we now are able to question openly what is claimed as "history", and "fact". Many of the people who used to laugh at me are not laughing anymore, and even recently I was in personal contact with several colleagues that have come forward with "How did you ever know?" statements. I have given them the sites necessary to research the truth for themselves.

It is regrettable that many people are still clouded by the brainwashing of the media, and the power of pride generated by the idea of putting men on the moon. It is human nature that we love to have our heroes, and feel good about great accomplishments. Apollo created such hero worshiping, but the time for the truth is now!

Many video sites are up on the NET showing Apollo for what it is, and I have observed closely the comments put up on these video clips. It is so sad to watch many Apollo believers get angry and fearful that their personal worlds would fall apart by the truth, so they instead attack and insult truth seekers. It seems better for them to live in a world of lies, rather than face the uncertainty of a world of truth.

There is so much to cover in exposing the lies of history. I started with the lies of Project Apollo, watched the further lies of 9-11, and am no longer afraid of ever telling the truth about our world.
Maybe its time for everyone to take a stand, and not be afraid of the repercussions for truth seeking. We are still free to make choices in life. Maybe its time to make yours.

Peace for now.. More to come...

Posted by Northerntruthseeker at <A class=timestamp-link title="permanent link" href="http://northerntruthseeker.blogspot.com/2008/11/project-apollo-what-were-they-thinking_24.html" rel=bookmark><ABBR class=published title=2008-11-24T08:52:00-08:00>8:52 AM</ABBR> 0 comments

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Project Apollo... What Were They Thinking? Part I

Sometimes it takes courage to come forward and give an honest opinion about some of the so called historical records that have been presented to us as true.... Such as Project Apollo....

I hold no punches when it comes to Project Apollo, and what other lies that NASA has perpetrated on the world.... I am in an ever growing group of people who have taken the time (30 years! in my case), to fully comprehend what was done, the scope of the lies, and why they did it!

First of all, as I have stated before, Apollo was a sham, and a lie! There can be only one truth when one takes the time to go over all of the videos, the photos, the science, and the technology, to realize that going to the moon between 1968-1972 was an astonishing... but a very impossible task!
As Ralph Rene, and Bill Kaysing first speculated, and then came out with positive proof in their writings and research, putting men on the moon with the technology available in that period of history was an impossible task, and to save the US government and NASA the shame of having to come forward and tell the people that they could not do it, they instead decided to LIE and DECEIVE the people into a false sense of pride by going forward with a covert project spearheaded by both NASA, and the CIA called the "Apollo Simulation Project".

It does not take any rocket scientist today to look back at that time period and see how antiquated the technology was compared to today. The Russians and the Americans had only put men into orbit since 1961, and the highest altitude that was ever done in a manned space flight until 1966 was approximately 300 miles. I am not sold on the US claims about several Gemini flights going up to 1000 miles, because much of the information on those flights is open to speculation, and the possibility of distorted claims by NASA. It is astounding to think that suddenly in 1968, and without first testing the space between the Earth and the Moon to verify that humans could survive the journey, we were suddenly orbiting the Moon at 241,000 miles! A jump of at least 24100% over the Gemini flights in less than two years! Very astounding indeed!

One must first take a close look at the Apollo One mishap in 1967 to realize the extent that NASA and the CIA were going to go to keep the lies going. On that fateful day in January 1967, Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee were strapped into the Apollo One capsule on the launchpad at Cape Kennedy for a test of the Apollo One systems.... Gus Grissom was a very proud man, and was astounded by what he was seeing in the Apollo program. He was probably the first to realize the impossibility of having the Apollo craft make orbit, rather than be able to fly to the moon and back! Being a critic of Apollo, he even hung a lemon on the window of the Command Module during the tests, and told Mission control several times his honest opinion of what he thought of the whole Apollo scam. It was during a test that a spark caused a fire in the Command Module with the three astronauts strapped in securely. Being in a PURE oxygen environment, these three had only seconds to escape or be burned alive. However, due to negligence, the Command Module did not have even a LATCH on the INSIDE of the module for the men to quickly escape! How silly and negligent was that? These three men perished as a result, burned alive! The sad part is that NASA has to this day not conducted a full proper investigation of the Apollo One incident, and the Command Module has still been locked away under tight security! One only needs to look at 9-11 in comparison, and how quickly the criminals disposed of the evidence then by having the steel beams from the WTC quickly sold off and shipped to China to see how dastardly this really is! To this day, even the families of these three brave men have not been allowed closure.

After Apollo One, NASA supposedly made changes to the capsule (like a door that actually opens from the inside?) and cancelled Apollo flights 2-6... Apollo Seven was supposedly launched into Low Earth Orbit finally with men aboard to test its launch capability. But Apollo Eight did even better, by putting three astroNOTs (yes, I also say these men never went) into orbit around the moon in late 1968! Very astounding indeed that they all TRUSTED that the systems would not fail, and that the craft would survive trans-Lunar space all the way to the moon! Apollo One should have caused greater concern indeed! How could these three men agree to go to such a hostile environment without any proper tests conducted first?

Yes, space outside of Low Earth Orbit (LEO) is very hostile indeed! Dr. James Van Allen basically put an end to men going to the moon with the technology at hand in the 60's, back in 1958-59 with his discovery and testing of the Van Allen Radiation Belts. People to this day do not fully understand outer space, and sometimes I blame NASA itself for keeping them in the dark to the truth! Ordinary people look up into the sky at night, and observe the planets, and the Moon itself, and think about how great it is that NASA put men there, and that someday we will all venture into space. Well, good luck to that! The VA belts are a set of belts beginning at an altitude of 500 miles, and extending outwards to about 10000 miles. They are basically a result of the Earth's magnetic spinning core, and a zone where charged particles from the Sun, and interstellar space are caught in the magnetic field lines of our planet, and trapped into "belts", preventing them from hitting the Earth's surface itself. Without the belts, life on this planet would have been impossible, due to the high levels of radiation that would be bombarding our surface relentlessly! The side effect is that any higher than LEO space flights would require a method of having the Astronauts surviving the intense radiation within the belts as they transverse them into interstellar space.

In 1983, a Dr Frank Greening from the Ontario Nuclear Regulatory Commission, got a hold of some valuable data on the strength of the VA belts from a fellow doctor, and nuclear radiation expert, in the then USSR named EE Kovalev. EE Kovalev got his data from Russian space flights, and tests conducted on the strength of the VA belts. The information was astounding! Ralph Rene puts it in his books as straight forward as possible.... The belts do vary in intensity, but the maximum intensity within the belts is approximately 280,000 rads/day, or 11600 rads/hour! One rad approximates to one rem in intensity, and the maximum intensity that any human can sustain without dying is about 200 rem/hour over one hour maximum, AND over one's entire lifetime! Even if one assumes that the average intensity is about 1/2 of the maximum, we are talking 5800 rem/hour, or 29 TIMES the level needed to kill an average man! Project Apollo called for the transverse of the belts over a period of one hour minimum going in each direction, towards the moon, and upon its return. In doing so, with only ALUMINUM for shielding, which is no shielding at all, these Astro-NOTs should have been dead!

NASA has always conveniently said that Dr. Van Allen's original research, and the research of others is false, due to their fantastic assertion, and analogy that Apollo astro-NOTs went to the moon, and back, are still alive today, and proof therefore that the belts are not as deadly as claimed! This is a very strange of reverse logic indeed. Even Alan Bean from Apollo 12 in a video discussion with Bart Sibrel said back in 1998 that he didnt even know if the VA belts had been discovered yet by the time of his flight (?).

Radiation of the belts is one thing, but the space between the VA belts and the Moon itself is also under constant bombardment by both Solar Flares, Mass Solar Ejections, and Cosmic Rays. Remember, there is no VA belt there, or an atmosphere, to protect these men. It is also a fact that the Lunar surface, with no atmosphere, has been under constant bombardment by these same deadly particles for billions of years. It is little known to the comman person that the Lunar surface itself is highly radioactive, and lethal to humans, itself!

Apollo had to be as light as possible to get into orbit, and then off to the moon. In doing so, the hull of the spacecraft was made of very thin aluminum. As I, and others, have stated many times, thin aluminum is no shielding at all. In fact, Aluminum has been discovered that when bombarded by high speed radioactive particles, it tends to give off a shower of very deadly secondary particles!
Therefore, one must ask.... How did they keep these men alive for the trips to the Moon?

This is only one part of a very long expose of Apollo.... I have only began to scratch the surface, and I do ask for readers to go over and watch a very good video series called Moonfaker for additional information on the Apollo farce!

I have found that many people are still blinded by the pride of Apollo to use reasoning. People have to realize that Project Apollo was a propaganda stunt, and a sham. It has distorted science, especially in astronomy for the last 40 years, thanks to some very dastardly organizations including NASA itself!

There is so much to cover here, and I will do my part in keeping the hope that the truth will come to full exposure soon. Government organizations can only lie for so long before they are eventually caught cheating!

Do your own dilligence, and research. The truth must be told!

roscoe

EOG Veteran

i wonder why the Russians never disputed our landing on the moon?

DimeDR

Banned

great question, roscoe, you could take the time and research it, but ill save you the time since you are too lazy ... russia faked all their space program just like america did ... so why blow the other guys cover? ... its like mccain and obama keeping their mouths shut on other bc they are both scum ... google larry sinclair, roscoe, and learn the truth

mr merlin

EOG Master

I see india is getting into the act with this obvious hoax of their moon program recently.

DimeDR

Banned

this is killing you isnt it merle, show me some live footage of india on the moon, show me their rigs docking, show me them kangy hopping w/o wires .... have you watched jarrah's radiation series? ... of course not, youd rather cheap shot your ignorance ...

here, tell me you know more than bill kaysing, a man who devoted his life to busting nasa's chops

MP3 Interview (July 22, 2005)
Download! or Stream!

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

YouTube - MoonFaker: A Puffy Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon. P2

YouTube - MoonFaker: A Puffy Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon. P3

scrimmage, you always enjoy detail, well here it is, please pick up the gauntlet and challenge me ... this jarrah white is pretty formidable, I know; and i see you have fled ... sorry, we didnt go to the moon, and none of you brain dead here at EOG can wrap your limited gray matter and get outside the box of your miniscule paradigms ... its amusing to see how scared you all are, and even the mental pygmy mods allow and themselves resort to ad hominem ...
Dime;
The need to be challenged and the objective truth of a matter are 2 separate issues.
I haven't "fled" in any way,I'm just avoiding feeding your mania about the moon hoax topic,because we can go around in circles indefinitely,and lets face it how often do entrenched opinions change around here?
You want others to try and disprove falsehoods,yet what is your answer to 2 questions:
1.What would the motive be for the US to fake moon landings?Without a motive there's no there there.
2.How could a multi-year hoax involving thousands be pulled off?The Apollo Program wasn't a 1 off event like JFK,or 9/11,how was the lid kept on the hoax?
Here's a lead to deprogram yourself,and the plenty of information might change your paradime also:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

Fox TV and the Apollo Moon Hoax

(February 13, 2001)

<HR>
On Thursday, February 15th 2001 (and replayed on March 19), the Fox TV network aired a program called ``Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?'', hosted by X-Files actor Mitch Pileggi. The program was an hour long, and featured interviews with a series of people who believe that NASA faked the Apollo Moon landings in the 1960s and 1970s.

The biggest voice in this is Bill Kaysing, who claims to have all sorts of hoax evidence, including pictures taken by the astronauts, engineering details, discussions of physics and even some testimony by astronauts themselves. The program's conclusion was that the whole thing was faked in the Nevada desert (in Area 51, of course!). According to them, NASA did not have the technical capability of going to the Moon, but pressure due to the Cold War with the Soviet Union forced them to fake it.
Sound ridiculous? Of course it does! It is. So let me get this straight right from the start: this program is an hour long piece of junk.
From the very first moment to the very last, the program is loaded with bad thinking, ridiculous suppositions and utterly wrong science.

I was able to get a copy of the show in advance, and although I was expecting it to be bad, I was still surprised and how awful it was. I took four pages of notes. I won't subject you to all of that here; it would take hours to write. I'll only go over some of the major points of the show, and explain briefly why they are wrong.

So let's take a look at the "evidence'' brought out by the show. To make this easier, below is a table with links to the specific arguments.

<CENTER><TABLE cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Disclaimer</TD><TD>20% believe in the hoax?</TD><TD>The Capricorn 1 tie-in</TD></TR><TR><TD>No stars in pictures</TD><TD>No blast crater</TD><TD>Dust around the lander</TD></TR><TR><TD>Deep, dark shadows</TD><TD>Non-parallel shadows</TD><TD>Identical backgrounds</TD></TR><TR><TD>More identical backgrounds</TD><TD>Lander unable to balance itself</TD><TD>No flames from lunar launch</TD></TR><TR><TD>Astronauts footage shot in slow-motion</TD><TD>The waving flag</TD><TD>Why was every picture perfect?</TD></TR><TR><TD>Missing crosshairs in photos</TD><TD>The deadly radiation of space</TD><TD>Did NASA murder its astronauts?</TD></TR><TR><TD>CONCLUSION</TD><TD>LINKS</TD><TD>FALLOUT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<HR>

Bad: Right at the beginning, they have a disclaimer:
The following program deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible explanation. Viewers are invited to make a judgment based on all available information.
Good: The last thing the writers of this program want the viewers to do is make an informed decision. If they did, they would have given equal time to both sides of this controversy. Instead, the vast majority of the time is given to the HBs, with only scattered (and very vague) dismissive statements by skeptics. So the available information is really only what they tell you. Of course, there are a lot of websites talking about this. I have a list of them <A href="http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/apollohoax.html">on my own site.

<HR>
Bad: The show claims that 20% of Americans have doubts that we went to the Moon.
Good: That number is a bit misleading. <A href="http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=1993&pg=1" target=_blank>A 1999 Gallup poll showed it was more like 6%, a number which agrees with a poll taken in 1995 by Time/CNN. The Gallup website [note added Feb. 19, 2007: The Gallup site has been rearranged, and though I can no longer find this quotation, it still jibes with what is on the site now] also says:
Although, if taken literally, 6% translates into millions of individuals, it is not unusual to find about that many people in the typical poll agreeing with almost any question that is asked of them -- so the best interpretation is that this particular conspiracy theory is not widespread.
It also depends on what you mean by ``doubts''. Does that mean someone who truly doesn't believe man ever went to the Moon, or just that it's remotely possible that NASA faked it? Those are very different things. Not only does the program not say, but they don't say where they found the statistic they quote either.

<HR>
Bad: The program talks about the movie ``Capricorn 1'', an entertaining if ultimately silly movie about how NASA must fake a manned Mars expedition. The program says ``The Apollo footage [from the surface of the Moon] is strikingly similar to the scenes in ``Capricorn 1''.
Good: Is it just an amazing coincidence that the actual Moon images look like the movie, or is it evidence of conspiracy? Neither! The movie was filmed in 1978, many years after the last man walked on the Moon. The movie was made to look like the real thing! This statement by the program is particularly ludicrous, and indicates just how far the producers were willing to go to make a sensational program.

<HR>
Bad: The first bit of actual evidence brought up is the lack of stars in the pictures taken by the Apollo astronauts from the surface of the Moon. Without air, the sky is black, so where are the stars?
Good: The stars are there! They're just too faint to be seen.
This is usually the first thing HBs talk about when discussing the Hoax. That amazes me, as it's the silliest assertion they make. However, it appeals to our common sense: when the sky is black here on Earth, we see stars. Therefore we should see them from the Moon as well.
I'll say this here now, and return to it many times: the Moon is not the Earth. Conditions there are weird, and our common sense is likely to fail us.
The Moon's surface is airless. On Earth, our thick atmosphere scatters sunlight, spreading it out over the whole sky. That's why the sky is bright during the day. Without sunlight, the air is dark at night, allowing us to see stars.
On the Moon, the lack of air means that the sky is dark. Even when the Sun is high off the horizon during full day, the sky near it will be black. If you were standing on the Moon, you would indeed see stars, even during the day.
So why aren't they in the Apollo pictures? Pretend for a moment you are an astronaut on the surface of the Moon. You want to take a picture of your fellow space traveler. The Sun is low off the horizon, since all the lunar landings were done at local morning. How do you set your camera? The lunar landscape is brightly lit by the Sun, of course, and your friend is wearing a white spacesuit also brilliantly lit by the Sun. To take a picture of a bright object with a bright background, you need to set the exposure time to be fast, and close down the aperture setting too; that's like the pupil in your eye constricting to let less light in when you walk outside on a sunny day.
So the picture you take is set for bright objects. Stars are faint objects! In the fast exposure, they simply do not have time to register on the film. It has nothing to do with the sky being black or the lack of air, it's just a matter of exposure time. If you were to go outside here on Earth on the darkest night imaginable and take a picture with the exact same camera settings the astronauts used, you won't see any stars!
It's that simple. Remember, this the usually the first and strongest argument the HBs use, and it was that easy to show wrong. Their arguments get worse from here. <A name=crater>

<HR>
Bad: In the pictures taken of the lunar lander by the astronauts, the TV show continues, there is no blast crater. A rocket capable of landing on the Moon should have burned out a huge crater on the surface, yet there is nothing there.
Good: When someone driving a car pulls into a parking spot, do they do it at 100 kilometers per hour? Of course not. They slow down first, easing off the accelerator. The astronauts did the same thing. Sure, the rocket on the lander was capable of 10,000 pounds of thrust, but they had a throttle. They fired the rocket hard to deorbit and slow enough to land on the Moon, but they didn't need to thrust that hard as they approached the lunar surface; they throttled down to about 3000 pounds of thrust.
Now here comes a little bit of math: the engine nozzle was about 54 inches across (from <A href="http://www.friends-partners.org/mwade/craft/lmdlsion.htm" target=_blank>the Encyclopaedia Astronautica), which means it had an area of 2300 square inches. That in turn means that the thrust generated a pressure of only about 1.5 pounds per square inch! That's not a lot of pressure. Moreover, in a vacuum, the exhaust from a rocket spreads out very rapidly. On Earth, the air in our atmosphere constrains the thrust of a rocket into a narrow column, which is why you get long flames and columns of smoke from the back of a rocket. In a vacuum, no air means the exhaust spreads out even more, lowering the pressure. That's why there's no blast crater! Three thousand pounds of thrust sounds like a lot, but it was so spread out it was actually rather gentle.
<!--Two last bits: the engines were designed to cut off a couple of meters abovethe surface of the Moon to prevent too much dust from kicking up andobscuring the vision of the astronauts. So they actually fell the lastlittle way; that's yet another reason there is no blast crater. I will notethat after reading Armstrong and Aldrin's account of the landing, the engine may have actually cut off after they landed; <a href="http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.landing.html" target="_blank">read the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal account for more; scrolldown to 102:45:32.
I have been told by one Dieter Zube, a project engineer forGeneral Dynamics Space Propulsion Systems, that" The Viking landers had three individualthruster that were fired during the landing to provide attitude controlduring landing, but also to reduce the amount of dust that would be kickedup while landing. In addition, each thruster was a cluster of twentyindividual small nozzles, that made it look like an udder. Again, thereason for this to avoid a high pressure exhaust plume, to avoid stirringup the ground. Main reason for this design was to avoid a big cloud ofdust, which would settle on the delicate sensor surfaces and camera lensesas well as the microbiological sensors trying to look for life on Mars.&quotSo I would guess was aware of the dust problem both in and outof an atmosphere.-->[Note added December 6, 2001: Originally in this section I said that the engines also cut off early, before the moment of touchdown, to prevent dust from getting blown around and disturbing the astronauts' view of the surface. This was an incorrect assertion; it was known that dust would blow around before the missions were launched, and steps were taken to make sure the astronauts knew their height above the surface. Anyway, the incorrect section has been removed.]

<HR>
Bad: The next argument presented on the show deals with the lunar dust. As the lander descended, we clearly see dust getting blown away by the rocket. The exhaust should have blown all the dust away, yet we can clearly see the astronauts' footprints in the dust mere meters from the lander. Obviously, when NASA faked this they messed it up.
Good: Once again, the weird alien environment of the Moon comes to play. Imagine taking a bag of flour and dumping it onto your kitchen floor (kids: ask your folks first!). Now bend over the pile, take a deep breath, and blow into it as hard as you can. Poof! Flour goes everywhere. Why? Because the momentum of your breath goes into the flour, which makes it move. But note that the flour goes up, and sideways, and aloft into the air. If you blow hard enough, you might see little curlicues of air lifting the flour farther than your breath alone could have, and doing so to dust well outside of where your breath actually blew.
That's the heart of this problem. We are used to air helping us blow things around. The air itself is displaced by your breath, which pushed on more air, and so on. On the Earth, your breath might blow flour that was dozens of centimeters away, even though your actual breath didn't reach that far. On the Moon, there is no air. The only dust that gets blown around by the exhaust of the rocket (which, remember, isn't nearly as strong as the HBs claim) is the dust physically touched by the exhaust, or dust hit by other bits of flying dust. In the end, only the dust directly under or a bit around the rocket was blown out by the exhaust. The rest was left where it was. Ironically, the dust around the landing site was probably a bit thicker than before, since the dust blown out would have piled up there.
I can't resist: another Hoax Believer argument bites the dust.

<HR>
Bad: The next evidence also involves pictures. In all the pictures taken by the astronauts, the shadows are not black. Objects in shadow can be seen, sometimes fairly clearly, including a plaque on the side of the lander that can be read easily. If the Sun is the only source of light on the Moon, the HBs say, and there is no air to scatter that light, shadows should be utterly black.
Good: This is one of my favorite HB claims. They give you the answer in the claim itself: "...if the Sun is the only source of light..." It isn't. Initially, I thought the Earth was bright enough to fill in the shadows, but subsequently realized that cannot be the case. The Earth is a fraction of the brightness of the Sun, not nearly enough to fill in the shadows. So then what is that other light source?
The answer is: The Moon itself. Surprise! The lunar dust has a peculiar property: it tends to reflect light back in the direction from where it came. So if you were to stand on the Moon and shine a flashlight at the surface, you would see a very bright spot where the light hits the ground, but, oddly, someone standing a bit to the side would hardly see it at all. The light is preferentially reflected back toward the flashlight (and therefore you), and not the person on the side.
Now think about the sunlight. Let's say the sun is off to the right in a picture. It is illuminating the right side of the lander, and the left is in shadow. However, the sunlight falling beyond the lander on the left is being reflected back toward the Sun. That light hits the surface and reflects to the right and up, directly onto the shadowed part of the lander. In other words, the lunar surface is so bright that it easily lights up the shadows of vertical surfaces.
This effect is called heiligenschein (the German word for halo). You can find some neat images of it at <A href="http://www.weather-photography.com/Photos/gallery.php?cat=optics&subcat=heiligenschein" target=_blank>here, for example. This also explains another HB claim, that many times the astronauts appear to be standing in a spotlight. This is a natural effect of heiligenschein. You can reproduce this effect yourself; wet grass on a cool morning will do it. Face away from the Sun and look at the shadow of your head. There will be a halo around it. The effect is also very strong in fine, disturbed dust like that in a baseball diamond infield. Or, of course, on the Moon.
[Note added June 29, 2001: A nifty demonstration of the shadow filling was done by Ian Goddard <A href="http://www.iangoddard.net/moon01.htm" target=_blank>and can be found here. His demos are great, and really drive the point home.

<HR>
Bad: Another argument by the HBs deals with shadows. Several photos from the Moon are shown where objects on the lunar landscape have long shadows. If the Sun were the only light source, the program claims, the shadows should be parallel. The shadows are not parallel, and therefore the images are fake.
Good: This is an interesting claim on the part of the HBs, because on the surface (haha) it seems to make sense. However, let's assume the shadows are not parallel. One explanation is that there are (at least) two light sources, and that is certainly what many HBs are trying to imply. So if there are multiple light sources, where are the multiple shadows? Each object casts one shadow, so there can only be one light source.
Another explanation is that the light source is close to the objects; then it would also cast non-parallel shadows. However, a distant source can as well! In this case, the Sun really is the only source of light. The shadows are not parallel in the images because of perspective. Remember, you are looking at a three-dimensional scene, projected on a two-dimensional photograph. That causes distortions. When the Sun is low and shadows are long, objects at different distance do indeed appear to cast non-parallel shadows, even here on Earth. An example of that <A href="http://www.apollo-hoax.me.uk/strangeshadows.html" target=_blank>can be found at another debunking site. The scene (near the bottom of the above-linked page) shows objects with non-parallel shadows, distorted by perspective. If seen from above, all the shadows in the Apollo images would indeed look parallel. You can experience this for yourself; go outside on a clear day when the Sun is low in the sky and compare the direction of the shadows of near and far objects. You'll see that they appear to diverge. Here is a major claim of the HBs that you can disprove all by yourself! Don't take my word for it, go out and try!
Incidentally, the bright Earth in the sky will also cast shadows, but those would be very faint compared to the ones made by the Sun. So in a sense there are multiple shadows, but like not being able to see stars, the shadows are too faint to be seen against the very bright lunar surface. Again, you can test this yourself: go outside during full Moon and you'll see your shadow. Then walk over to a streetlamp. The light from the streetlamp will wash out the shadow cast by the Moon. You might still be able to see it faintly, but it would difficult against the much brighter landscape.
[Note added June 29, 2001: Again, check out Ian Goddard's work for more about this.

<HR>
Bad: The program has two segments dealing with what they call ``identical backgrounds''. In one, they show the lunar lander with a mountain in the background. They then show another picture of the same mountain, but no lander in the foreground at all. The astronauts could not have taken either picture before landing, of course, and after it lifts off the lander leaves the bottom section behind. Therefore, there would have been something in the second image no matter what, and the foreground could not be empty. Obviously, the mountain background is a fake set, and was reused by NASA for another shot.
Good: Actually, the pictures are real, of course. As always, repeat after me: the Moon is not the Earth. On the Earth, distant objects are obscured a bit by haze in the air, and we use that to mentally gauge distances. However, with no air, an object can be very far away on the Moon and still be crisp and sharp to the eye. You can't tell if a boulder is a meter across and 100 meters away, or 100 meters across and 10 kilometers away!
That's what's going on here. The lander is close to the astronaut in the first picture, perhaps a 20 or 30 meters away. The mountain is kilometers away. For the second picture, the astronaut merely moved a few hundred meters to the side. The lander was then out of the picture, but the mountain hardly moved at all! If you look at the scene carefully, you'll see that all the rocks and craters in the foreground changes between the two pictures, just as you'd expect if the astronaut had moved to the side a ways between the two shots. It's not fraud, it's <A href="http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/parallax.html">parallax! <!--
You can see this for yourself. Yuri Krasilnikov put together an animatedgif of the two imageswhich you can see here. The human brain is pretty good at puttingthe two images together to show how they appear to rotate. That's pretty goodproof the images show distant mountains and not a nearby stage prop.-->
Another example of the difficulty in estimating distance is due to the shapes of the rocks on the Moon. A rock small enough to sit down on doesn't look fundamentally different from one bigger than your house. Humans also judge distance by using the relative sizes of objects. We know how big a person is, or a tree, so the apparent size of the object can be used to estimate the distance. If we don't know how big the object is, we can be fooled about its distance.
For an outstanding example of this, take a look at video taken during Apollo 16. There is a boulder in the background that looks to be about 3 or 4 meters (10-13 feet) high. About 3/4 of the way through the segment the astronauts walk over to it. Amazingly, that boulder is the size of a large house! Without knowing how big the rock was when we first see it, we have no way to judge distances. That huge rock looks like a medium sized one until we have some way to directly judge its size; in this case, by looking at the tiny astronauts next to it. <SMALL>[My thanks to Bad Reader Martin Michalak for bringing this video to my attention. My very special thanks goes to Charlie Duke (yes, the Charlie Duke, Apollo astronaut and lunar lander pilot) who emailed me (!) about the difficulty in judging distances due to not knowing the sizes of rocks.]</SMALL>
I will admit the Fox program had me for a while on this one; I couldn't figure it out. But then I got a note from Bad Reader David Bailey, who set me straight. However, the producers of the show should have talked to some real experts before saying such a silly thing as this. If they had checked with the folks who run the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, for example, they would have been set straight too.
NEW! (February 19, 2001): <A href="http://www.hypnoide.com/moon/" target=_blank>I found a site that has an animation where the two images of the mountain are superimposed. You need Flash for it, but it's a great animation. The beauty of it is that you can see changes in the mountain range due to parallax!. In other words, this animation is support that the images are real and are not using a fake backdrop. The real beauty of this animation is that the person who put it together is an HB. I like the irony of linking to that animation and using it to show that it is indeed evidence that Apollo did go to the Moon. I love the web!

<HR>
Bad: The other ``identical background'' segment shows an astronaut on a hilltop. A second video shows two astronauts on the same hill (and this time it really is the same hill), and claims that NASA itself says these two videos were taken on two different hills separated by many kilometers. How can this be? They are obviously the same hill, so NASA must be lying!
Good: Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to a mistake. A videotape about Apollo 16 ironically titled ``Nothing So Hidden...'' released by NASA does indeed make that claim, but in this case it looks to me to be a simple error. I asked Eric Jones, who is the editor of the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, and he told me those two clips were taken about three minutes apart. Eric's assistant, Ken Glover, uncovered this problem. He sent me this transcript (which I edited a bit to make links to the video clips) of the Fox show with his comments, which I will highlight in red:
Narrator: Background discrepancies are also apparent in the lunar video.
[...]
[Video showing John Young at Station 4 on EVA-2, with Fox caption "Day One". Click <A href="http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16/a16.sta4.html" target=_blank>here for the transcript and here for the RealVideo clip.]
Narrator: This shot was taped in what was purported to be the first of Apollo 16's lunar excursions.
[Audio of John Young dubbed over clip: "Well, I couldn't pick a better spot", actual MET of 123:58:46]
[Next, video of John Young and Charlie Duke at Station 4, EVA-2. In reality, about three minutes after the first clip. Fox caption "Day Two". Click here for the transcript and here for the RealVideo clip.]
Narrator: And this video was from the next day, at a different location.
[Audio of Charlie Duke dubbed over clip: "That is the most beautiful sight!", actual MET of 124:03:01]
Narrator: NASA claims the second location was two-and-a-half miles away, but when one video was superimposed over the other the locations appear identical.
[Audio of John Young dubbed over "Day Two" video: " It's absolutely unreal!", actual MET 144:16:30] Narrator: Conspiracy theorists claim that even closer examination of the photos suggest evidence of doctoring.
That last line is pretty funny. The audio you hear of the astronauts in those clips was actually all from different times than the video!
So that's why the hill looks the same. It's the same hill, and the two clips were not taken a day apart, but from three minutes apart or so. Again, had the program producers bothered to check their sources, they would have received a prompt answer. That's all I did: I emailed the editor of the ALSJ. It was pretty easy to do, and he answered me in minutes.

<HR>
Bad: Ralph Rene, a self-proclaimed physicist, claims that the astronauts shifting in the cabin would change the center of mass, throwing the lunar lander off balance. They couldn't compensate for this, which would have crashed the lander. Thus, the landing was faked.
Good: Rene is wrong. Evidently he doesn't know how the internet works either, because there is a website which describes how the attitude control was maintained on the lander during descent and ascent; it's the <A href="http://www.apollosaturn.com/Lmnr/gn.htm" target=_blank>Apollo Saturn Reference page. There was a feedback control system on board the lander which determined if the axis were shifting. During descent, the engine nozzle could shift direction slightly to compensate for changes in the center of gravity of the lander (the technical term for this is gimbaling the nozzle). During ascent, the engine nozzle was fixed in position, so there was a series of smaller rockets which was used to maintain the proper attitude. Incidentally, every rocket needs to do this since fuel shifts the center of gravity as it is burned up by the rocket, yet Rene and the other HBs don't seem to doubt that rockets themselves work! So we have a case of selective thinking on the part of the HBs.
[Note (July 20, 2001): My thanks again to Apollo astronaut Charlie Duke for correcting a technical error in a previous version of this section. After describing the above scenario to me, he said the ascent stage of the lander was "a sporty ride".]

<HR>
Bad: The program claims that when the top half of the lander took off from the Moon to bring the astronauts back into orbit, there was no flame from the rocket. Obviously, every rocket has a visible flame, so the takeoff was faked.
Good: There is actually a simple reason why you cannot see the flame from the lander when it took off. The fuels they used produced no visible flame! The lander used a mix of hydrazine and dinitrogen tetroxide (an oxidizer). These two chemicals ignite upon contact and produce a product that is transparent. That's why you cannot see the flame. We expect to see a flame because of the usual drama of liftoff from the Earth; the flame and smoke we see from the Shuttle, for example, is because the solid rocket boosters do actually produce them, while the lunar lander did not. <A href="http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/rocket.htm" target=_blank>Here is a brief webpage describing this. Note too that fuels like this are still used today, and indeed rockets in space produce little or no visible flame.
I heard an account (sorry, no citation; the link has since gone dead) that the cameras used for the ascent of the lander were fairly primitive, even for that era (this is usually the case in space travel, where it takes extensive testing to make sure things work properly; during that time the state of the art advances). Even if it were visible, the flash of the exhaust may have easily been missed by those cameras.
[Note added April 9, 2001: My original assertion about not seeing the flame was because the Moon has no air, and we see flame from rockets on Earth because we have an atmosphere. This does have some effect (the pressure of air constrains the rocket exhaust and helps produce the effect we see) but the larger reason the flame is invisible is due to the fuel used. I gratefully thank the dozens of people who sent me email about this.]

<HR>
Bad: When the movies of the astronauts walking and driving the lunar rover are doubled in speed, they look just like they were filmed on Earth and slowed down. This is clearly how the movies were faked.
Good: This was the first new bit I have seen from the HBs, and it's funny. To me even when sped up, the images didn't look like they were filmed in Earth's gravity. The astronauts were sidling down a slope, and they looked weird to me, not at all like they would on Earth. I will admit that if wires were used, the astronauts' gait could be simulated.
However, not the rover! If you watch the clip, you will see dust thrown up by the wheels of the rover. The dust goes up in a perfect parabolic arc and falls back down to the surface. Again, the Moon isn't the Earth! If this were filmed on the Earth, which has air, the dust would have billowed up around the wheel and floated over the surface. This clearly does not happen in the video clips; the dust goes up and right back down. It's actually a beautiful demonstration of ballistic flight in a vacuum. Had NASA faked this shot, they would have had to have a whole set (which would have been very large) with all the air removed. We don't have this technology today!
This is another case of selective vision on the part of the HBs.

<HR>
Bad: When the astronauts are assembling the American flag, the flag waves. Kaysing says this must have been from an errant breeze on the set. A flag wouldn't wave in a vacuum.
Good: Of course a flag can wave in a vacuum. In the shot of the astronaut and the flag, the astronaut is rotating the pole on which the flag is mounted, trying to get it to stay up. The flag is mounted on one side on the pole, and along the top by another pole that sticks out to the side. In a vacuum or not, when you whip around the vertical pole, the flag will ``wave'', since it is attached at the top. The top will move first, then the cloth will follow along in a wave that moves down. This isn't air that is moving the flag, it's the cloth itself.
New stuff added March 1, 2001: Many HBs show a picture of an astronaut standing to one side of the flag, which still has a ripple in it (for example, <A href="http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/apollo/apollo11/html/as11_40_5874.html" target=_blank>see this famous image). The astronaut is not touching the flag, so how can it wave?
The answer is, it isn't waving. It looks like that because of the way the flag was deployed. The flag hangs from a horizontal rod which telescopes out from the vertical one. In Apollo 11, they couldn't get the rod to extend completely, so the flag didn't get stretched fully. It has a ripple in it, like a curtain that is not fully closed. In later flights, the astronauts didn't fully deploy it on purpose because they liked the way it looked. In other words, the flag looks like it is waving because the astronauts wanted it to look that way. Ironically, they did their job too well. It appears to have fooled a lot of people into thinking it waved.
This explanation comes from NASA's wonderful <A href="http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/flag/flag.htm" target=_blank>spaceflight web page. For those of you who are conspiracy minded, of course, this doesn't help because it comes from a NASA site. But it does explain why the flag looks as it does, and you will be hard pressed to find a video of the flag waving. And if it was a mistake caused by a breeze on the set where they faked this whole thing, don't you think the director would have tried for a second take? With all the money going to the hoax, they could afford the film!
Note added March 28, 2001: One more thing. Several readers have pointed out that if the flag is blowing in a breeze, why don't we see dust blowing around too? Somehow, the HBs' argument gets weaker the more you think about it.

<HR>
Bad: The program makes a big deal out of how well the pictures taken from the Moon were exposed and set. Every picture we see is just right, with the scene always centered perfectly. However, the cameras were mounted on the front of the astronauts' spacesuit, and there was no finder. They couldn't have taken perfect pictures every time!
Good ... and of course, no one claims they did. Thousands of pictures were taken on the Moon, and the ones you see will tend to be the good ones. If Buzz Aldrin accidentally cut off Neil Armstrong's head, you probably won't see that image in a magazine. Also, everything done on the Moon was practiced endlessly by the astronauts. The people working on the mission knew that these pictures would be some of the most important images ever taken, so they would have taken particular care in making sure the astronauts could do it cold. When fabled astronaut Story Musgrave replaced a camera on board the Hubble Space Telescope in 1993, someone commented that he made it look easy. "Sure," he replied, "I had practiced it thousands of times!"
The program goes farther than this, though: they actually contacted the man who designed the cameras for the astronauts. When they asked him why the pictures were always perfect, he hemmed and hawed, and finally admitted he had no answer for that. This is hardly evidence that NASA must have faked the missions. All it means is that he couldn't think of anything while sitting on camera! I think this is pretty evil of the program producers to do this; a bit of editing on their part makes it looks like they completely baffled an expert.

<HR>
Bad: Crosshairs were etched in the astronauts' cameras to better help measure objects in the pictures. However, in several images, it looks like the objects are actually in front of the crosshairs, which is impossible if the crosshairs were inside the camera! Therefore, the images were faked.
Good: This argument is pretty silly. Do the HBs think that NASA had painted crosshairs on the set behind the astronauts? I heard one HB claim the crosshairs were added later on, and NASA had messed up some of the imaging. That's ridiculous! Why add in crosshairs later? Cameras equipped with crosshairs have been used for a long time, and it would have been easy to simply use some to take pictures on the faked set. Clearly, the HBs are wrong here, but the images do look funny. What happened?
What happened becomes clearer when you look more closely at the images. The times it looks like an object is in front of the crosshair (because the crosshair looks blocked by the object) is when the object photographed is white. The crosshair is black. Have you ever taken an image that is overexposed? White parts bleed into the film around them, making them look white too. That's all that happened here; the white object in the image ``fills in'' the black crosshair. It's a matter of contrast: the crosshair becomes invisible because the white part overwhelms the film. This is basic photography.
[Note (added February 18, 2001): I have been informed by David Percy, a photographer quoted in the Fox show, that he does indeed believe that man went to the Moon, but he believes there are anomalies in the imagery taken which ``put into question many aspects of the missions'', which is a different matter. While I disagree that there are anomalies, I have edited out what is essentially a personal attack on Mr. Percy that I had here originally. It is an easy matter to let one's emotions get carried away when writing these essays, and I apologize to him and my readers for letting that get in. I make it a policy to correct Bad Astronomy based on facts, not personalities.]
[Note added June 29, 2001: Again, <A href="http://www.iangoddard.net/moon01.htm" target=_blank>Ian Goddard's work has more about this, including images that show how crosshairs can fade out in a bright background.

<HR>
Bad: A big staple of the HBs is the claim that radiation in the van Allen Belts and in deep space would have killed the astronauts in minutes. They interview a Russian cosmonaut involved in the USSR Moon program, who says that they were worried about going in to the unknowns of space, and suspected that radiation would have penetrated the hull of the spacecraft.
Good: Kaysing's exact words in the program are ``Any human being traveling through the van Allen belt would have been rendered either extremely ill or actually killed by the radiation within a short time thereof.''
This is complete and utter nonsense. The van Allen belts are regions above the Earth's surface where the Earth's magnetic field has trapped particles of the solar wind. An unprotected man would indeed get a lethal dose of radiation, if he stayed there long enough. Actually, the spaceship traveled through the belts pretty quickly, getting past them in an hour or so. There simply wasn't enough time to get a lethal dose, and, as a matter of fact, the metal hull of the spaceship did indeed block most of the radiation. For a detailed explanation of all this, my fellow Mad Scientist <A href="http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/waw/mad/mad19.html" target=_blank>William Wheaton has a page with the technical data about the doses received by the astronauts. Another excellent page about this, that also gives a history of NASA radiation testing, is from the <A href="http://lsda.jsc.nasa.gov/books/apollo/S2ch3.htm" target=_blank>Biomedical Results of Apollo site. An interesting read!
It was also disingenuous of the program to quote the Russian cosmonaut as well. Of course they were worried about radiation before men had gone into the van Allen belts! But tests done by NASA showed that it was possible to not only survive such a passage, but to not even get harmed much by it. It looks to me like another case of convenient editing by the producers of the program.

<HR>
Very, very Bad: Kaysing says that the Apollo 1 fire that killed Roger Chaffee, Ed White and Gus Grissom was no accident. Grissom was ready to talk to the press about the Moon hoax, so NASA killed him. Kaysing says NASA also killed other people who were about to blow the whistle as well.
This is so disgusting I have a hard time writing a coherent reply. Kaysing has no grasp of basic physics, photography or even common sense, but he accuses NASA of killing people to shut them up. That is a particularly loathsome accusation.

<HR>
The utter bilge pumped out in this program goes on and on, and indeed, if you go to the HBs websites you can read more than any brain can handle. I have read literally dozens of things that ``prove'' the landings were faked, and each one is rather easily shown to be wrong by anyone with experience in such things. I think the problem here is twofold: we tend to want to believe (or at least listen to) conspiracy theories, and this one is a whopper. Also, the evidence is presented in such a way that, if you are unfamiliar with the odd nature of the vacuum of space and of space travel, it sounds reasonable.
But it isn't reasonable. Their evidence is actually as tenuous as the vacuum of space itself. I find it amazing that they are so willing to scrutinize every available frame of data from the astronauts, yet miss the most obvious thing right in front of them. Fox television and the producers of this program should be ashamed of themselves. Even worse, the Fox Family Channel broadcast a show just last year that was skeptical and even handed about the Moon Hoax! Amazingly, Mitch Pileggi hosted that program as well.
I'll end this on one more bit the HBs don't talk about. When Jim Lovell, two time Apollo astronaut and commander of the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission, was told about Kaysing's claims, Lovell called him a kook. Kaysing, ever the rational thinker, sued Lovell for slander. Imagine: Kaysing, who says that NASA murdered three men outright and arranged for the murders of others, sued Commander James Lovell for slander! After some time, a judge wisely threw the case out of court.
There's still hope. <A name=links>

<HR>
Links

• There are many websites about the Moon Hoax where you can read both the theories by the HBs themselves or what reality is like as told by people debunking the theory. I have a list of them <A href="http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/apollohoax.html">on my Bad Misconceptions page.
  • [Note added February 23, 2001: the link for the USA Today article is now gone, so I have removed it.] Dan Vergano of USA Today had an article (with an interview of me) about the TV show on the USA Today website. The print version was in the Friday, February 16th 2001 edition.

<HR>

FALLOUT FROM THE SHOW

February 17, 2001:
    Well, the Fox Apollo show has struck a chord, it appears. I am receiving a lot of email from people, both for and against. The most noteworthy support was quite a surprise: <A href="http://www.nasa.gov/" target=_blank>NASA itself! That explains why I am getting tens of thousands of hits to this site. Another site linking here is <A href="http://www.clydelewis.com/" target=_blank>Ground Zero, a rather typical hoax and conspiracy site that calls me ``an annoyed scientist'' (true enough) and says that people call me a ``weapon for science''. I kinda like the sound of that one!
    What's funny though is how that site pulls out the same tired arguments that are easy to show wrong, yet stands by them dogmatically. For example, Clyde Lewis, the webmaster of the site, shows a photo of the flag waving and asks how it can be waving; I already showed how it can appear to wave on this page earlier. In his image, the bottom corner of the flag is not flat, which is most likely simply residual rippling from the astronaut's twisting the pole. Remember, without air, there is nothing to dampen the rippling, so the flag actually can appear to wave as if from a breeze for a few moments.
    This is hardly evidence of a hoax. Lewis goes on and on, bringing out the radiation arguments, the no stars arguments, on and on, like these are either new or damning, when they are neither.
    Of course, I am trying to debunk the conspiracy theorists, but unlike them, I want people to look at their evidence rationally and critically, and not swallow it whole. It'll choke you if you do.
    Finally, one last note: If I weren't a hard-headed scientist, I'd wonder if some cosmic force were at work sometimes. I went to a website that creates anagrams, that is, rearranges letters in a word to spell other words. I put in "The Bad Astronomer", and one of the anagrams was [SIZE=+1]MOON TRASH DEBATER[/SIZE]. I think that's pretty cool.

Note added June 17, 2004: a Bad Reader informed me that another anagram would be NOTED SHAM ABORTER. I think that's appropriate too. <CENTER>This page last modified Thursday, 02-Oct-2008 12:14:32 CDT </CENTER>

<SCRIPT>window.google_render_ad();</SCRIPT>

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

hey help me out again, guys .... this should just take a jiffy ...

why can we see buzz aldrin's footprint where he weighs only 60 some pounds due to 1/6th gravity but we dont see the legs to the LM pressing deep into the soft moon surface or see blast craters from the engines? someone much smarter than I should be able to answer this :houra

Answers:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

Bad: In the pictures taken of the lunar lander by the astronauts, the TV show continues, there is no blast crater. A rocket capable of landing on the Moon should have burned out a huge crater on the surface, yet there is nothing there.

Good: When someone driving a car pulls into a parking spot, do they do it at 100 kilometers per hour? Of course not. They slow down first, easing off the accelerator. The astronauts did the same thing. Sure, the rocket on the lander was capable of 10,000 pounds of thrust, but they had a throttle. They fired the rocket hard to deorbit and slow enough to land on the Moon, but they didn't need to thrust that hard as they approached the lunar surface; they throttled down to about 3000 pounds of thrust.

Now here comes a little bit of math: the engine nozzle was about 54 inches across (from the Encyclopaedia Astronautica), which means it had an area of 2300 square inches. That in turn means that the thrust generated a pressure of only about 1.5 pounds per square inch! That's not a lot of pressure. Moreover, in a vacuum, the exhaust from a rocket spreads out very rapidly. On Earth, the air in our atmosphere constrains the thrust of a rocket into a narrow column, which is why you get long flames and columns of smoke from the back of a rocket. In a vacuum, no air means the exhaust spreads out even more, lowering the pressure. That's why there's no blast crater! Three thousand pounds of thrust sounds like a lot, but it was so spread out it was actually rather gentle.

Bad: The next argument presented on the show deals with the lunar dust. As the lander descended, we clearly see dust getting blown away by the rocket. The exhaust should have blown all the dust away, yet we can clearly see the astronauts' footprints in the dust mere meters from the lander. Obviously, when NASA faked this they messed it up.

Good: Once again, the weird alien environment of the Moon comes to play. Imagine taking a bag of flour and dumping it onto your kitchen floor (kids: ask your folks first!). Now bend over the pile, take a deep breath, and blow into it as hard as you can. Poof! Flour goes everywhere. Why? Because the momentum of your breath goes into the flour, which makes it move. But note that the flour goes up, and sideways, and aloft into the air. If you blow hard enough, you might see little curlicues of air lifting the flour farther than your breath alone could have, and doing so to dust well outside of where your breath actually blew.

That's the heart of this problem. We are used to air helping us blow things around. The air itself is displaced by your breath, which pushed on more air, and so on. On the Earth, your breath might blow flour that was dozens of centimeters away, even though your actual breath didn't reach that far. On the Moon, there is no air. The only dust that gets blown around by the exhaust of the rocket (which, remember, isn't nearly as strong as the HBs claim) is the dust physically touched by the exhaust, or dust hit by other bits of flying dust. In the end, only the dust directly under or a bit around the rocket was blown out by the exhaust. The rest was left where it was. Ironically, the dust around the landing site was probably a bit thicker than before, since the dust blown out would have piled up there. I can't resist: another Hoax Believer argument bites the dust.

DimeDR

Banned

scrimmage, ur killing me, using plait, he has had his as kicked by jarrah white all over the map ... go to the radiation series ... you have made yourself look like a buffoon to anyone who knows anything about the moon debate ...

i did not think you were so careless on your research ... see you are skimming, i am digging ... you can cut and paste all the shills you want but im so disappointed to see you are nothing more than sheep on this topic ...

what about the naut's shoes making a dent and not the vehicle, and then LMAO you use the "air" argument and thats how this thread led off, you are getting senile ... i dont even know what to say ...

NO AIR???? scrimmage, howd the cloth move all around? cant have it both ways, dimwit :)

DimeDR

Banned

where are the wussies to debate, not name call, just debate ... i see scrimmage isnt up to anything other than pasting plait garbage ... the rest just suck their thumbs and ask Bush when they can go to the bathroom

DimeDR

Banned

look at the wusses at EOG ... cant even debate the moon, crushed scrimmage with his nonsense, the rest of you are just sheep without a bellcow LMAO

shame on all of us that have a life and dont spend 20 hours a day on the internet hoping someone will read what we typed and will care.

LOSER2938u4ji23:doh1

DimeDR

Banned

hey ktb, glad you could stop in and debate ... proves you have no brain, just taunts and no research like the rest of the lame people the Mods here trade hand jobs with :)

i do not have the time nor the patience to debate with someone who it is clear does not even come close to grasping reality.
go research some more blogs and watch some film and make some more stuff up.
maybe you can tell us where the space station really is since it clearly is not in space.

'Dime a Dozen',
This is the 'political' section/forum of this site.
Take your nonsense to the 'looney tune' section/forum.
Get off your spaceship and take your medication, things will be alright.
12io4j2w90

DimeDR

Banned

there you go maxipads, always with the logic, never on the topic ... you are a wuss of first class order ... mull on this please???

you think we went great, did you watch or research anything?

what makes you think we went, the moon rocks which were forged here, or might it be the fact we could go thru the van allen belts w/o any ill affects ...or maybe its the highly evolved buggies that transported us while we had the flintstone technology ... maybe its the wind and shadows and wires that never contradict the laws of logic and science ... I mean the proof is so overpowering that russia and the USA were actually in space and the moon ... maybe its collins's space suit that had the identical wrinkles and puckers on two diff. flights ... maybe its the Naut with his gold visor up on the lunar surface for an hour which woulda have blinded him... maybe its fact the nauts could not have fit into the LM with their inflated suits .... maybe its fact somehow film was taken at times while the number of nauts does not add up, or that it could survive the heat and radiation ... or maybe its fact they blab on the vids talking about stagehands holding hoses off screen and many other inside jokes .... and how many times can the LR be seen on the moon without tire tracks leading to or fro

oh gosh, i dunno maybe its fact that when the nauts talked to nixon and Nasa live on transmissions there wasnt even more than a one second delay for the audio to travel 482,000 miles ... but when we get a feed here in the usa from middle east there is a 3 second delay to bounce off a satellite ...

id hate for you to actually debate these points, bc you cant and you are sheep dung in the worst way

DimeDR

Banned

still waiting for an intelligent poster to match wits with me, so far none has tried to debate this save scrimmage cutting and pasting shills