Jimmy Butler

The sad part is that you're serious. It has nothing to do with which is the better shot with 10 seconds to go down 1.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I wonder if its game 7, does Lebron make that pass?

ESPN doesn't make 10-part 30 for 30's for passing to the open man with a championship on the line.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
The sad part is that you're serious. It has nothing to do with which is the better shot with 10 seconds to go down 1.

1. You're the one who brought up "the math" w/out even knowing what you are talking about.

2. I am 100% seriouos when I tell you 1.14 is greater than 1

3. The sad part is, you have no idea how to think about shit.

1. You're the one who brought up "the math" w/out even knowing what you are talking about.

2. I am 100% seriouos when I tell you 1.14 is greater than 1

3. The sad part is, you have no idea how to think about shit.
Bred - that's over a whole game. 1.14 is irrelevant. Just think about it. If 1,000,000 points were given to hit beyond the arch and the odds of making the shot is 20%, do you want the last shot to be a 1,000,000 point shot down 1?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Bred - that's over a whole game. 1.14 is irrelevant. Just think about it. If 1,000,000 points were given to hit beyond the arch and the odds of making the shot is 20%, do you want the last shot to be a 1,000,000 point shot down 1?

Ok. Let's talk about it.

If Danny Green is taking a 3-pt shot and Second Spectrum says he had ~38% chance to hit it, what is the EV of that shot?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
If Danny Green takes the last shot, he has a 38% chance to make the shot. That's all that matters.

The shot itself is worth 3 or 0. However, we don't know if he is going to make it or not, thus we turn to expectation. The EV of that shot was more than they were down by. Yes, you can't score 1.14 pts, but that's how you need to think about it.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
The shot itself is worth 3 or 0. However, we don't know if he is going to make it or not, thus we turn to expectation. The EV of that shot was more than they were down by. Yes, you can't score 1.14 pts, but that's how you need to think about it.

I understand that this isn't a natural or even intuitive way to think about it but you need to cultivate an EV Mindset.

Make it worth 1,000,000 pts or 3 pts. He still has a 38% chance to make the shot. 3 or 0. 1,000,000 or 0 is irrelevant..

I understand that this isn't a natural or even intuitive way to think about it but you need to cultivate an EV Mindset.
over the whole game, not last shot. Simple concept. ..................What's the EV if the shot is worth 1,000,000 points and you have a 10% chance of making it? It doesn't matter.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
over the whole game, not last shot. Simple concept. ..................What's the EV if the shot is worth 1,000,000 points and you have a 10% chance of making it? It doesn't matter.

It does matter, whats my expectation on that shot?.....100,000 pts. If we are down by 99,999 then I like the shot.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Tied or down by 1, most times option B is to kick out for a 3.

I think that is wrong. Option B should be a 10-15 footer.

Much higher percentage.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Tied or down by 1, most times option B is to kick out for a 3.

I think that is wrong. Option B should be a 10-15 footer.

Much higher percentage.

Perhaps we could have gotten a better shot but we had a great look.

You also have to take under consideration the spacing, they spaced out for LBJ and LBJ saw it was an, "Anybody but LBJ," Defense so he created an open look for a teammate,

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
You want to use EV of multiple trials. You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

This is projection.

Yes, over the long term, that shot is worth 1.14 pts. We don't know if the next trial is going in or not, all we have is the Expectation.

This is projection.

Yes, over the long term, that shot is worth 1.14 pts. We don't know if the next trial is going in or not, all we have is the Expectation.
Now you're starting to get it. Long term worth 1.14, not last shot. Last shot is 0 or 3. Multiple trials EV is irrelevant.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
Now you're starting to get it. Long term worth 1.14, not last shot. Last shot is 0 or 3. Multiple trials EV is irrelevant.

What? Are you being serious?

If the last shot is worth 3-pts and it has a 38% probability of going in, what is the Point Expectation of that shot?