EOG's favorite team (Chicago State is OUT, UC-San Diego is IN)

Bill, all I see -- up and down the roster list -- are bullshit majors, as you put it.

Where are the engineers and mathematicians?

I see mostly sociology, psychology, human development and international business students.

Maybe Jake Killingsworth, the business analytics student, could improve our basketball betting models.

Maybe.

Sociology and psychology are the bullshit majors. Intl business is bullshit at some commuter schools, but its serious stuff at UCSD. Yeah the engineers and pre-med kids would be more impressive, but no serious athlete can do those at a high level at a serious grind like UCSD. My sister did pre-med for 2 years, was a perfect student in HS and just couldn't keep up with the competition there. Most were Asians who literally studied 100 hours a week and didn't seem to sleep much. She said in classes some of them resemble those kids who do the spelling contests, teacher would ask something and they could repeat word for word two paragraphs from the book without looking. I don't think a starting power forward can keep up.

railbird

EOG Master
Sociology and psychology are the bullshit majors. Intl business is bullshit at some commuter schools, but its serious stuff at UCSD. Yeah the engineers and pre-med kids would be more impressive, but no serious athlete can do those at a high level at a serious grind like UCSD. My sister did pre-med for 2 years, was a perfect student in HS and just couldn't keep up with the competition there. Most were Asians who literally studied 100 hours a week and didn't seem to sleep much. She said in classes some of them resemble those kids who do the spelling contests, teacher would ask something and they could repeat word for word two paragraphs from the book without looking. I don't think a starting power forward can keep up.
ucsd is a good medical schools, i always check where my drs went to school and ive had a couple that went to ucsd. jim allison who cured my cancer went to ucsd

blueline

EOG Master
beating ChicagoSt couldnt save his job :

Northern Illinois fired men’s basketball coach Mark Montgomery on Sunday.

The Huskies are off to a 1-7 start this season, their only victory coming against winless Chicago State, and they’re coming off a 68-42 loss to Bowling Green on Saturday. Montgomery has had just two winning seasons at NIU.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What do the basketball programs at Gonzaga and UC-San Diego have in common?

Like top-ranked Gonzaga, UCSD is undefeated on the season.

The Zags are 10-0 while the Tritons are 2-0.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
beating ChicagoSt couldnt save his job :

Northern Illinois fired men’s basketball coach Mark Montgomery on Sunday.

The Huskies are off to a 1-7 start this season, their only victory coming against winless Chicago State, and they’re coming off a 68-42 loss to Bowling Green on Saturday. Montgomery has had just two winning seasons at NIU.

Apparently, it's not good enough to beat Chicago State, you also need to cover.

Goodbye.

1609735252252.png

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Little remembered factoid: UCSD p-system was one of the options for the original IBM PC released in 1981. Developed within UCSD, it cost $600 per copy while PC-DOS cost $40 and CP/M-86 $240. Put kindly, it bombed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Got it, WILDBILL.

I rarely follow basketball action in the SWAC or MEAC but those HBCU teams would be candidates for EOG's favorite team, if UCSD's season is aborted.

Historically, the hoopsters from the SWAC or MEAC struggle with the game's only defenseless shot, the free throw.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
UC-San Diego will host Cal-Irvine this weekend in La Jolla for a pair of games this Friday and Saturday.

Strange situation because the two games will not count in the Big West standings.

The two-game series will not affect the two conference games scheduled for Irvine in late February.

Sadly, 2021 is beginning to look a lot like 2020.

UC-San Diego will host Cal-Irvine this weekend in La Jolla for a pair of games this Friday and Saturday.

Strange situation because the two games will not count in the Big West standings.

The two-game series will not affect the two conference games scheduled for Irvine in late February.

Sadly, 2021 is beginning to look a lot like 2020.

What's the point then? So they are sort of exhibition, but not really? I mean if they don't count for conference they don't matter because neither of these teams is going to be sniffing an at large tournament bid.

Keep the legs fresh, I guess.

The COVID-19 situation is threatening to wipe out another NCAA tourney.

I think the Indiana bubble will solve it. All these potential contact quarantines are ridiculous. Has to be well under 1% of those quarantined that actually get a positive. As I said many months ago, players aren't going to give it to each other on the field, that's pretty much been said by many authorities in the last week. All the suspensions and postponements because a bunch of players are held out "just in case" are total BS.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cal-Irvine and UC-San Diego canceled their Friday night game due to a Triton student-athlete showing symptoms of COVID-19.

The teams played Saturday night with Cal-Irvine cruising to a 79-65 victory.

UC-San Diego started fast with an 11-2 lead more than six minutes into the game.

But Irvine dominated the rest of the way, outscoring UC-San Diego 55-37 in the second half.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Irvine was a 7-point favorite over UC-San Diego.

EOG contributor BRIANS took Irvine minus the spot for his best bet this past Saturday.

Right side, right result.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Box score listed the attendance at 300.

Wonder who came up with that round number.

I'll take UNDER for the limit.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
CSU is an all-black team and St. Thomas is mostly white.

I spotted one African-American (Courtney Brown, Jr.) on the St. Thomas team roster.

Looks like there was an athletic advantage for the home team.

St. Thomas recorded no blocks and only one steal in the 40-minute game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
dont think there was family, chicago state has no players from illinois

CSU starting forward Coreyoun Rushin is a Chicago kid.

He went to Westinghouse High School, the same school that produced Mark Aguirre, Eddie Johnson and Hersey Hawkins.

But I get your point, BIRDIE.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Damn, leaving tomorrow morning, going to have to miss it JK..

I attended a game at Chicago State two years ago.

Nothing to see.

Last season was a total cluster.

They literally quit on the season after nine games and nine losses.

In a game against Illinois State, Chicago State dressed only six players.

In a game against Loyola-Chicago, Chicago State had only one coach on the bench.

You can't make it up.

It was so bad, it got to be good.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
SIUE committed 24 turnovers against Marquette the other night.

Yet it was a six-point game inside of the final minute.

Hmmm...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ultimate frisbee is a great hybrid sport, too.

There's a hotel owner in Costa Rica who plays at a high level.

I think NFL quarterback Nick Foles is an avid ultimate frisbee player.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Back to Chicago State, some of those preseason payday games were worth $40,000 to $80,000 to the school's athletic department.